Thursday, April 3, 2008

Welcome to Real Life

Well the past few weeks I received a full dose of real life.

Real life where people don't necessarily care about you. Real life where business decisions need to be made. Real life where hit and runs happen. Real life where life can take a 180 degree turn at any second. Real life where 20 teenagers have been shot and killed in the city since the beginning of the year. Real life where just under 50% of African American teens have STD's.

For those of you who know me understand that one of my flaws is that I focus on the negative. Just to let you know, I'm getting better. I don't mean to give you all that bad news but thats what is on my mind right now.

Also, for those of you who know me probably already know I was laid off about 2 weeks ago. Myself and about 5 others. I will spare you of details but I obviously think I was given a raw deal but understand that sometimes things need to happen. It's a bit humbling. It took me two weeks to even think about putting this on my blog. But hey, it happened and I can't do anything about it (can you believe those words came from me). I never knew things we're out of my control!!!! ha, just kidding.

The other things that I mentioned earlier were fresh on my mind because of a church service I was at this weekend. It was at St. Sabina. A largely popular church on Chicago's south side with a very controversial pastor that, much to my chagrin, definitely DIDN'T separate church and state. This pastor is very involved with attempting to cut down crime in Chicago (possible??). He shot out some statistics that seem crazy. 20 teenagers have been shot dead already this year in the city alone!!!!!!! WHAT??? Also, almost half of teenage African American teens have STD's. Ridiculous. Where are we failing? Parents, schools? I blame parents first.

Some other news: Katie and I are moving to San Diego. Don't know when, not sure how, do know why, not exactly sure where. But, we're going. Katie was accepted into grad school. Needless to say, I am looking for jobs. I need a job. Housing prices>My Income. The sad part about me being "let go" is that I enjoyed what I was doing. I think my ideal job out in Cali would be leasing apartments for an up-scale apartment community. However, I am an open book. I am open to anything.

6...................Can anyone guess what that number is??? I bet you wouldn't guess "number of jobs Mark has had in Chicago in a matter of 6 months." Yeah, thats right, I am now going on my sixth job since moving to Chicago:
1: NCSA-Scouting/recruiting job.
2: The Homestead Group-Leasing apartments.
3: The Enterprise Companies-Part-time leasing.
4: WALKING DOGS!!!
5:Amundson High School- Assistant Varsity Softball Coach. Don't ask......
6: Wills- Bartending.

The last four I am doing all at once.


-Mark

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I gotta commend you, Mark! You never let the grass grow beneath your feet! You are a "go-getter".
We are personally very excited to have you and Katie move to San Diego! It will all work out somehow, somewhere, and someday
Love
Your FMIL