Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Rite of Passage

Today something happened to me that I consider to be my rite of passage into true Chicago residency. No, contrary to what you are thinking, I didn't get beat up by a Cabrini Green gang. While I was waiting for the Brown Line on my way to City Hall a stranger approached me and asked if he was headed in the right direction. I spit out the answer he was looking for in half a second.

To me, this means two things: First, for some reason, out of all the other people around, I looked like the best person to ask a question. Maybe just because I looked like a non-intimidating character or because I looked like I know the CTA. Second, I realized myself, how much more I know about Chicago (specifically public transportation) since I first moved here.

This was just as much a Rite of Passage as circumcision, the Bar Mitzvah, or the first haircut.

2 comments:

momdadtig said...

Maybe.........but I'm here to testify that I'm pretty sure there was no crying during this incident like the crying during the circumcision and the first haircut!!

Jana said...

I hope it was less traumatic than either snip-snip incident.